Equilibrium Statistical Mechanics
Chemical Engineering 210B:
Equilibrium Statistical Mechanics.
University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Ed Feng, EII Room 3326, efeng at mrl dot ucsb dot edu.
- Eric Cochran, MRL 2027B, ecochran at mrl dot ucsb dot edu.
- Kirill Katsov, MRL 2027B, katsov at mrl dot ucsb dot edu.
- Won Bo Lee, EII 2213, wonbo at engineering dot ucsb dot edu.
- approximately one homework per week.
- Homework: 25%. Midterm: 30%. Final: 45%.
- Take Home Final Exam:
pick up from MRL 2027B Wednesday morning after 9:00am, March 16, 2005.
Due 5:00pm, Thursday, March 17, 2005, same place.
- Homework 1. pdf.
- Homework 2. pdf.
- Homework 3. pdf.
Due January 27, 2005.
- Homework 4. pdf.
Due February 4, 2005.
- Homework 5. pdf.
Due February 15, 2005.
- Homework 6. pdf.
Due February 24, 2005.
- Homework 7. pdf.
Due March 3, 2005.
- Homework 8. pdf.
Due March 10, 2005.
- Midterm, Problem 1. pdf.
- Final, Problem 1. pdf.
- Final, Problem 2. pdf.
- Final, Problem 3. pdf.
- Review of Equilibrium Statistical Mechanics
- Canonical Ensemble
- Grand Canonical Ensemble
- Classical Fluids
- Classical Limit in Statistical Mechanics
- Distribution Functions
- Potential of Mean Force
- Radiation Scattering
- Monte Carlo Simulation
- Crystal Statistics
- Einstein Model
- Debye Model
- Field Theory and Critical Phenomena
- Polymer Statistical Mechanics
- Models of single-chain statistics
- Dilute solution excluded volume effect and thermodynamics
- Semidilute solution, scaling theory
- Chandler, "Introduction to Modern Statistical Mechanics".
- McQuarrie, "Statistical Mechanics".
(although his "Statistical Thermodynamics" text is sufficient)
- J.P. Hansen and I. McDonald, "Theory of Simple Liquids".
We didn't get to much material in here, but it's the standard reference
for liquid state theory.
- M.E.J. Newman, G.T. Barkema, "Monte Carlo Methods in Statistical Physics".
- Hoel, Port, Stone, "Introduction to Stochastic Processes".
Good starter text for Markov chain theory that computer
simulation books usually skip.